[cvsnt] CVS reported error: cannot rename file (Not AV problem)

Harrison, Andy andy.harrison at anite.com
Fri Dec 1 13:31:56 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've recently migrated our CVS server to a new machine, and since then
several users have been reporting errors along the following lines:

T [...]
T MyDir/File.cpp
Unable to rename file /MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h, to /MyRepo/MyDir/File.h,v
for 1 second, still trying...
Unable to rename file /MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h, to /MyRepo/MyDir/File.h,v
for 2 seconds, still trying...
[...]
Unable to rename file /MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h, to /MyRepo/MyDir/File.h,v
for 9 seconds, still trying...
Unable to rename file /MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h, to /MyRepo/MyDir/File.h,v
for 10 seconds, giving up...
cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file /MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h, to
/MyRepo/MyDir/File.h,v: Permission denied

***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****

At first I thought this was the AV getting in the way of CVS as I had to
get our IT dept to disable it on the old server and hadn't yet done so
for the new one. However, having finally got them to come and disable
it, they discovered that it wasn't even installed.

So, given that it's not AV, what else could be causing the above?

Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41a (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382
(client/server)

Server PC:  Win XP Pro ver2002 SP2, P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 70GB available
on HDD

Rgds,
Andy

--
Andy Harrison - Platform Software Engineer
Anite Telecoms Ltd. Ancells Business Park, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 2UZ,

Scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed. This email is intended for the named recipient only, and may contain confidential information and proprietary material. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.