[cvsnt] Upgrading CVSNT to 2382 on Linux

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Mon Dec 18 18:42:59 GMT 2006

Bryan Leber wrote:

> Is there any special things that needs to be done when Upgrading on
> Linux. I thought I read somewhere that you need to uninstall any CVS
> that you have. Is this true? Do I have to uninstall the previous version
> or can I just build it then use the make install command to install the
> latest over the previous?

You only have to muck around with uninstall on Windows.

On Linux, the safest way to upgrade is to do:

1. configure
2. make
3. stop cvslockd
4. stop xinetd
5 if paranoid, pgrep cvs just to check that all cvs processes have stopped
6 make install
7 start cvslockd
8 start xinetd

--
David Somers - typographer/programmer/whatever
Random and sometimes useful stuff blogged at http://www.omz13.com