[cvsnt] Re: performance problems

Glen Starrett glen at starretthome.net
Wed Feb 1 18:14:41 GMT 2006

bwhicks at aep.com wrote:
> Actually, I tried it with antivirus both on and off and it doesn't change
> the performance at all. I notice the AV exe not shooting to the top of the
> proclist in task manager when I'm doing checkouts, but not much else
> changes.

Sometimes the AV appears dormant when it's still scanning (and just
suppressing the messages).  Depends on the AV, but some don't actually
stop scanning until you uninstall them.

Also, I've noticed that my AV doesn't show up as a separate process when
scanning.  Something to do with the way it hooks into the OS, it latches
on to the process that is doing the file manipulation (I believe -- I
haven't investigated this).

A good test if you have the time is to get a fresh load of Win without
any apps and install only CVSNT and try it there.  In my experience, AV
takes a LOT of process power.  Fresh loaded Windows runs TONS faster
than one with AV loaded.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett