[cvsnt] Re: Broken behaviour with cvs export in recent builds...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Feb 1 21:43:59 GMT 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:41:39 +0100, "Bo Berglund"
<Bo.Berglund at system3r.se> wrote:

>After upgrading our CVSNT server to version 2.5.03.2221 we have
>experienced a strange new problem!
>
>What happens is this:
>C:\>cvs export -r HEAD -d FanucSrv/Drivers/DriverLinx
>Common/Drivers/DriverLinx
>cvs export: cannot chdir to FanucSrv: No such file or directory
>cvs export: ignoring module Common/Drivers/DriverLinx

I have looked back in my cvsnt news archives for a reminder on the
time this issue was discussed before. It was around summer 2003 when I
foundf that the cvs export -d Dir -N blah did no longer work. The -N
is supposed to stop CVS from shortening the path to the exported
module when usiing the -d switch to set a dir name.
My first exchange on this was 2003-06-25:

<quote>
>Tony,
>I just upgraded my server and client to 2.0.4 and now my automatic setup =
>build sripts do not work anymore!
>

>Please check into this because as things are now we can no longer make =
>our setups safely!

Try:

cvs export -r HEAD -d WSMDB/Redist Redist/MSDE2000

-N is just shorthand for that anyway...   I'll fix -N on the next
release.

Tony
</quote>

At that time I tried for a couple of months to get the -N to work on
CVSNT version after version, but it never did...
We discussed it on the forum 2003-08-12..14 and 2003-10-09..12 but no
resolution was ever found then.
So after that I bit the bullet and changed all the cvs export commands
in our build system to specify a path as the -d parameter rather than
a single dir and removed the -N parameter.
After this we have worked successfully with this system up to CVSNT
server version 2.0.41a, which is what we used until last week.

Now I upgraded the *server* to 2.5.03.2221 and this behaviour is gone,
CVS now can only create a single subfolder to export into.
And our build system is in shambles...
I tried to backtrack and by what I could determine the for me unwanted
behaviour is there also in 2.0.58d, which was the earliest version I
could find in the 2.5 series at work today. But on 2.0.41 it worked...

What can be done to restore the way CVSNT handled the -d parameter in
the 2.0 versions up to (at least) 2.0.41???

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)