[cvsnt] Re: Local Security Authority cannot be contacted

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Feb 5 23:02:34 GMT 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:49:16 -0500, bwhicks at aep.com wrote:

>I have a user who has been complaining that he fairly regularly (but
>intermittently) gets the following error message:
>
>Local Security Authority cannot be contacted
>
>this prevents him from connecting to the server for around a half hour or
>so.
>
>The server is cvsnt 2.5.02.2099 on Redhat Linux ES3.6 and the client is
>Tortoise 1.8.22 (cvsnt 2.5.02.2064) on Windows XP. We are using winbind and
>sspi for authentication to a separate Active Directory Domain. There are
>several users using the system, but this is the only person that has the
>problem. I had him reboot, thinking his machine must have lost contact with
>the domain controller or something, but it didn't help.
>
>Does anybody have any further insight with this error message? What else
>should I look for?

I have had this problem in the following situation:
- My XP-Pro workstation is in a Workgroup
- I am consequently logged in using a local account
- My CVSNT server is in a workgroup too (same name)
- I have a duplicate local account on both machines
- I check out a sandbox using :sspi:server:/repo

Now I change the configuration:
- I attach the workstation to a domain (via VPN)
- I log on to the domain account (same name & password)
- I have a recent CVSNT client
- I try to update my sandbox

This triggers the "cannot contact security authority" error and I
guess it is because of two reasons:
1) VPN is not connected so my domain controller is unavailable
2) The CVSNT server is still on the workgroup...

Solution:
I had to change the CVSROOT of my sandbox to :sspi:user at server:/repo
and then do a cvs login to save my credentials for the CVSNT server
account in my Domain/account registry hive.
But after this all operations on CVS work just fine!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)