[cvsnt] Re: Exclusive editing and branches

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Feb 6 15:58:24 GMT 2006

Zsolt Branyiczky wrote:

> I checked the source of edit.cpp.
> The function "check_can_edit" really compares the actual tag name to the
> one found in the fileattr.xml in case of searching for earlier exclusive
> chekouts for a file, so it works properly from my point of view.
> But as for function "editor_set" (where new file tag might be appended
> under file tag in fileattr.xml or an existing one might be deleted),
> unfortunately this tag checking is completely missing. That's why the
> exclusive checkout works only globally, not in the scope of a branch.
> Perhaps I simplify too the problem, but if I'm right, it cannot be so
> hard to fix it.

It's not that simple.

If you're using a 2.5.x client and server, then you can edit per-branch
(in fact this is the default, and is what will happen normally).

If you are using a cvshome or cygwin client or server then you *cannot*
edit per-branch as they do not support this (also they won't honour
exclusive edits unless you make the file -kx).

It's quite possible scc2cvs uses its own cvshome client, so will not
support this functionality.