[cvsnt] Re: Repository TAG behavior

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Feb 6 23:00:29 GMT 2006

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:34:19 -0700, "Randy McCharles"
<RandyMcCharles at smarttech.com> wrote:

>I have seen this before and the cause appeared to be some very large binary files that were put under source control. cvsnt appears to spend an inordinate amount of time tagging these large files, which I suspect the only requirement is to add a couple of lines of RCS text to the top of the file.
>Regardless, one I noticed the large binaries, I immediately took them out of source control and the tag timeout problem went away. (As did other "wait" problems such as very long checkout times.)

That is my experience too, except we have not had any failures to
date.
But any operation involving one of our binary files (exe files with
about 100-200 revisions) will take a *long* time, be it tag or log or
anything else. It seems like CVSNT must wade through everything in the
200+ Mb RCS file to just check the log (which sits at the top of the
file). Tag is the same.

But we must keep all binaries that have been moved outside of our
development department onto a customer just so we can pinpoint a
problem without having the impossible task of:
1. Getting the sources out of CVS (this is easy)
2. Backtracking the build environment to that time (neither Borland
nor Microsoft IDE systems are nearly in a version control system).
3. Build the binary that failed and start examine it.

Now we just check out that particular tagged revision and start
checking the complaint. So we really need binaries there.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)