[cvsnt] Re: Repository TAG behavior

Randy McCharles RandyMcCharles at smarttech.com
Mon Feb 6 23:30:36 GMT 2006

We also have a lot of binaries (as many binaries as text files). Having dealt with this problem for a while I have concluded that it is convenient, but not essential, to keep all binaries in source control. What I did was start with the largest RCS files and systematically moved them to a flat archive system. I use a naming scheme that combines the binary file name and its version.
The majority of binaries are small and I left under source-control. Every few months I look for the largest files again to see if they should be removed.

By removing the 50 largest binaries from our 10,000 file repository I cut the repository size in half. Performance is way up and there are no more time outs.

Randy McCharles

SMART Technologies Inc.

Senior Software Developer

Tel. 403.802.3347  Fax 403.229.2531