[cvsnt] Re: Exclusive editing and branches

Zsolt Branyiczky brazso at easymail.hu
Thu Feb 9 12:49:07 GMT 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> Tony Hoyle wrote:
>

>>Zsolt Branyiczky wrote:
>>

>>>The <editor> part with <tag>=HEAD has been disappeared from the xml, ie.
>>>replaced by <tag>=b1_07. If I also add the -x to the edit command (I
>>>think the interface uses this parameter), <exclusive /> tag appears
>>>under the <file> tag, but it works with the same manner.
>>
>>That's because it's the same person - the 'key' to the editor tag is the
>>name.
>

> I stumbled upon this also, some time ago. I think it would make more sense
> to use a combination of user/branch. It doesn't make sense to allow myself
> to edit on two branches, even though I /should/ be able to remember that --
> but I know that I at least am not always able to :)
>
> Gerhard

I altered the cvsnt source (src/edit.cpp) to handle the user/branch
recognition (instead of just the user check) in case of editor tag in
fileattr.xml. However I do not care with the watch flag, so the first
unedit or commit also wipes the temporary (and single) watcher tag
(created at the first edit). I'm still testing (we are using in our
projects a IDE supporting just SCC and branch usage is a must), but I
think it cannot be implemented into the official cvsnt, because in that
case the whole watch flag handle (or at least the temporary watch flags)
, similarily to the editor flag, should be reconsidered. I'm afraid it
would be too far from the concept used in original cvs.

By now I may have such a fileattr.xml (dst_karjova_filter.sru is edited
in parallel in 2 branches, as you can see there is just a single watcher
tag yet, which is not related to the branch, so it is not perfect):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<fileattr>
   <directory>
     <acl>
       <create />
       <read />
       <tag />
       <write />
     </acl>
     <owner>lobog</owner>
   </directory>
   <file name="dst_karjova_filter.sru">
     <editor name="brazso">
       <exclusive />
       <hostname>branyiczky2z</hostname>
       <pathname>C:\Work\pulika_bug\pb\pulika\karesemeny_jova</pathname>
       <tag>b1_07</tag>
       <time>Thu Feb  9 12:35:31 2006 GMT</time>
     </editor>
     <editor name="brazso">
       <exclusive />
       <hostname>branyiczky2z</hostname>
       <pathname>C:\Work\pulika_head\pb\pulika\karesemeny_jova</pathname>
       <tag>HEAD</tag>
       <time>Thu Feb  9 12:35:22 2006 GMT</time>
     </editor>
     <watcher name="brazso">
       <temp_commit />
       <temp_edit />