[cvsnt] Re: rough benchmarks...

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Sat Feb 11 23:16:22 GMT 2006

> if striping the drives helped (we backup and restore nightly to a hot
> spare

Be aware that with just two disk and striping (RAID 0) failure of one disk
will make the other unusable. Your machine will be off-line until the disk
is replaced, and depending on the whole disk being striped or only the data
partition, it will take some time to be available again.

I'd use a mirror, and if some more performance is needed, I'd add two more
disk and set it up for RAID 1+ 0. This way a disk failure won't stop the
server.

Also, I'd check if the chipset and SATA controller offer some hardware RAID
features, most chipset now offer some kind of software + hardware RAID
features.

Also, be aware that some controllers defaults to IDE compatible SATA mode.
SATA controllers may offer AHC mode, thats should be more perfomant and
coupled with the proper disks offer SCSI-like features like queue
reordering.

--
Luigi D. Sandon