[cvsnt] Re: cvs edit -m

Patrick Wolf patrick.wolf at gmx.at
Sun Feb 12 22:50:02 GMT 2006

Tony wrote:

> Patrick Wolf wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it make sense to also show it as output of the "cvs editors"
>> command?
>>
>cvs editors is limited somewhat by compatibility with existing
>frontends, which is why you need editors -v even to show the bugid.

>Normally it would be used in email notification, or fed to a bug system.

Hi Tony,

I understand that you always have to look onto the compatibility of existing
frontends, but if you already introduced a new switch to show the new bugid,
the lock text could have also been added (maybe with another new swicht like
-m).

I think the text shouldn't get lost, because not everybody is using e-mail
notification if files are locked, especially in a bigger project/team you
don't want to get a notification each time if somebody is going to change a
file. But let's assume that I have set up notification, I will get a mail,
read it and delete it. Two days later I also want to modify the file, it's
still locked and I don't know anymore what was the lock reason for the file.
Should I wait, branch, ...
So it would be good if I would be able to get the text...

It also gives you a better overview what people are working on when you do a
cvs editors for the hole project than just seeing the names of the files.

-Patrick