[cvsnt] CVS with SSPI

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Feb 17 23:12:18 GMT 2006

Hi,
please do not reply in private, use the mail list or CVSNT news server
instead.

Regarding CVS (or rather CVSNT) you should realize that this is a tool that
is primarily designed for version control of software source files and that
it has since a long time a well-defined TCP interface of its own (port
2401).
So any CVS client is communicating with the server using this port and the
CVS special protocol.

It is *not* designed to be used over a webserver or via a web browser.

ViewCvs is a tool that enables *viewing* (hence the name) of a CVS
repository in a convenient format, but no normal commands are possible via
this interface. It is simply not meant for that. It is just a convenient way
to look at a repository and browse for modules and files within.

The same goes for CVSWeb, but that is rather stale nowadays when the main
development is on the ViewCvs project.

So what you should do for your team is:

1) Read the books available for CVS, there are on-line sources like
Karl Fogel's book: http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html
The CVSNT E-book: http://www.march-hare.com/cvsnt/features/book/

2) Install a CVSNT server on your central server PC.
Advice here: http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html

3) Install the CVSNT client on the developer workstations.
You can get a client-only CVSNT installer here:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/cvsntinstaller.html

4) Install the WinCvs client front-end.
This is a GUI front for the command line CVSNT client.
Download here, WinCvs is at the bottom of the page, use the "bare"
installer:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10072&release_id=83299

5) Study the WinCvs documentation (fragmented...):
WinCvs new FAQ: http://www.wincvs.org/newfaq.htm#startlinks
A flash tour tutorial:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10072&package_id=1457
1&release_id=302146