[cvsnt] CVSNT and Scmbug

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sun Feb 19 22:25:04 GMT 2006

March Hare Software looked at all the various CVS/CVSNT and Bug Database
(Bugzilla etc) integrations including scmbug but decided that they all
didn't meet the requirements of commercial software development.

We certainly do agree that SCM is quite pointless unless the tools can
show the interrelationship between changes (func req., test plan,
project plan, source codes, test set, acceptance test, release notes) -
which is usually done through a defect tracking tool such as Bugzilla.

In particular we discovered that using "generic attributes" for bug
numbers (such as tags) prevented us from adding useful features such as
commit by bug number, merge by bug number etc.  Bugs are quite different
from a tag since several versions can all have changes with the same bug
number and a single change can have multiple bug numbers.

Finally perl scripts for integrations tend to be difficult to setup, so
"core" components are now written in 3GL using the CVSNT triggers
mechanism so they can work seamlessly "out of the box" on all platforms.

The bugzilla plugin is only available in the "CVS Suite" and "CVS
Professional" versions (ie: it's not open source), however all the bug
functionality (including Audit) is in the CVSNT core.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett