[cvsnt] Re: "cvs update" avoiding files with local changes?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Feb 22 10:21:33 GMT 2006

Johan Holmberg wrote:

> I should perhaps have explained my situation in more detail. My
> scenario (in this case) is to use "cvs update" in a "batch setting" to
> update all files in a whole directory tree. The files are *self
> contained*, so the usual dependency problems don't arise. When there
> is un-committed local changes, it is for a good reason. The most
> important thing (in batch mode) is to *avoid* overwriting these
> changes, not even with a successful merge. I want those changes to be
> managed interactively later.

Looks like a candidate for a batch script then :)  Either use your favorite
shell script, or look into the Python support of WinCvs for scripting this.

> I have thought about switching to some "mirroring software". It would
> probably fit nicely with the "batch mode". But then I would loose the
> nice things with CVS when working in "interactive mode": using diff,
> accessing file history, commiting changes, etc.

I don't quite understand this, especially how a mirroring software would
come into play. As I wrote in my previous message, in situations that may
be similar to yours (I don't really understand your work flow yet), I keep
two checked-out copies of the directory tree around: one for working in it,
one as reference, and I can update them individually. I can use diff and
file history in either of them, and I can diff files between them.

Gerhard