[cvsnt] How to get the diffs between branchpoint and tip of branch

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Feb 28 22:23:17 GMT 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> Maybe if the time when the branch was created is available as
> metadata of the branch, this can be solved through this route. The
> creation time would be helpful anyway... many tag naming conventions
> include date/time because of that.

Nothing as fancy as that is required just to determine the branchpoint
for a given branch (though I would definitely want to see timestamps on
tags). As Michael already outlined, all you have to do is take the
revision number of a branch revision, strip off the last two figures
and there you have your branchpoint revision. What is required however
is some way to apply this logic not only to a single file but to a
bunch of them.

...then again this would only work as long as revision identifiers
worked the way they currently do which, as I understood Tony, will not
necessarily be the case in the future.

Cheers,

--
Oliver