[cvsnt] Re: Best practices for shadow sandbox

John J. Xenakis mhare at jxenakis.com
Mon Jan 2 23:45:07 GMT 2006

Dear Arthur,

>   At a minimum any professional using CVSNT should have the CVSNT
>   eBook / CVS Suite written by the authors of CVSNT:
>   http://march-hare.com/cvsnt/features/book/

I checked this page out and see that the book costs $147.00, but
there's no link to purchase it.  I found my way to
http://march-hare.com/products/ , but the book isn't mentioned there,
so I can't find how to buy it.

>   You may also be interested in this FAQ:
>   http://march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq9.asp#9cb

>   Why does March Hare charge for CVS Suite?

>   March Hare Software charges for CVS Suite for several reasons, the
>   top three are:

>   1. There are many users of CVSNT who would like to contibute to
>   the project but do not have the time to contribute to the code,
>   documentation and testing and that for the price of the CVS Suite
>   they can contribute and also get the benefit of some support and
>   some great add on software for CVSNT.

>   2. CVSNT and CVS Suite cost March Hare Software a lot of time and
>   money to create. The enhanced TortoiseCVS, Workspace Manager,
>   Release Manager and the Bugzilla and Build integrations make using
>   CVSNT much easier which helps you be more productive.

>   3. There are many people who would like to begin using version
>   control and will benefit from the software however find it
>   difficult to find all the information required to get started and
>   if they do find it then it is difficult to understand or
>   implement. CVS Suite solves this problem by matching a version of
>   the documentation with versions of the software in a single
>   package.

The situation is this: My client hadn't planned on using version
control, so it's not part of the project.  I've convinced them to use
VC, but they still don't have anything in the budget for it.  Thus,
they can't use VSS, which would be their reflexive choice.  So I've
recommended CVSNT, and I'm now trying to figure out how to get it
configured for them so it's easy to use.  If they like it, then they
may purchases licenses for the next project.

In the meantime, it doesn't make sense for me to purchase a single
user license to CVS Suite, since then I wouldn't be using the same
software my client is using, so that wouldn't work.

Sincerely,

John

John J. Xenakis
Xenakis Consulting Services Inc.