[cvsnt] Documentation for the CVSROOT/shadow script?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Jan 3 08:24:16 GMT 2006

I have a few questions concerning the CVSROOT/shadow file:

1. It seems to be very sparingly mentioned in the cvs.chm file, in
fact I found it only in the table of contents as "The shadow file", in
the entry pointed to by this TOC entry and in the "postcommit" entry.
And in fact the only place there was a syntax description was under
"postcommit".
Will this be expanded and moved to the proper location soon?

2. The wording in the postcommit description is:
"This will cause checkins to repository directories starting with
cyclic-pages to update the checked out tree in /u/www/local-docs"
My question here is the following:
If one puts a line like this

^SomeModule HEAD c:/test/shadow

into the shadow script, will a commit to the module SomeModule
*create* a shadow at the expected position or must one first check out
a sandbox there and then the shadow action will just "update" it as it
exists?
If the latter is the case, will it then handle the addition of new
directories or will the shadow just consist of the initially checked
out tree with new updated versions of files?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)