[cvsnt] Re: Updating from 2.0.58d to 2.5.03 Build 2182

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Jan 3 11:03:55 GMT 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:31:43 +0100, "Issberner, Sven RD-IS-P22"
<Sven.Issberner at heidelberg.com> wrote:

>We are currently using cvsnt 2.0.58d on our production server.
>As we are now planning to update to the
>current stable cvsnt release, I made some tests. All is working
>fine. But I discovered that a lot of changes
>were made to the contents of cvsroot (new files, new config
>options, ...). So my question is, how to
>update the cvsroot of an existing repository without loosing
>the history and all my settings.

It is my experience (see separate thread about CVSROOT files) that
when updating CVSNT there will be no automatic changes to the
administrative files even when the admin files are rebuilt.

So this then boils down to this list of tasks to perform upon
upgrading:

1. Scripts, change \ to /
Before upgrading the server you should go over all used script files
in CVSROOT (loginfo, taginfo, notify, precommand, postcommand etc) and
edit them if they contain backslashes in the program spec on any line
by replacing \ with /.
For example:
ALL C:\Programs\CVSMailer\CVSMailer.exe .....
should be changed to
ALL C:/Programs/CVSMailer/CVSMailer.exe .....
This is because the newer CVSNT will treat \ as an escape character
whereas the old one could use \ or / as a path separator.
By doing the edit before upgrading the server you will not run into
any difficulties.

2. Repository naming
After you have upgraded you should go into thje CVSNT control panel
and check your repository names in the "Repository configuration" tab.
Verify that all is as you want and change anything that looks
"strange".

3. New CVSROOT files
This is where my post comes in. I actually do not know how to get the
new script files into place in an upgraded repository. You could of
course create and initialize a completely new repository just to get
the new files. Then copy the <file> and <file>,v files from the new
CVSROOT to the old one taking care *not* to overwrite any existing
file. But I am not sure this is the correct way of doing it, really. I
don't even know if this will make CVSNT handle the newly copied files
as standard admin files (with the rebuild at commit).

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)