[cvsnt] Re: Documentation for the CVSROOT/shadow script?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Jan 3 14:48:30 GMT 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

> Another couple of tests:
> 1) Checked out ModuleXX to C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT
> 2) Edited a file in a different sandbox for ModuleXX and committed
> 3) Still no sign of the shadow update
> 4) Modified the shadow file to read:
>    ^ModuleXX HEAD C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX
> 5) Like 2)
> 6) Like 3... :-(
>
> Seems like the shadow file does not operate at all....

I cannot confirm that - although I can confirm that it probably does
not work as intended...
Did you actually enable the plugin via the CVSNT control panel?

I put the following in CVSROOT/shadow :

test HEAD d:/Temp/autocheckout/

Committing a change to test/Blah.txt resulted in the following (with
verbose output enabled in the plugin options):

cvs -z9 -q commit -m change -- Blah.txt
Checking in Blah.txt;
/testroot2151/test/Blah.txt,v  <--  Blah.txt
done
cvs checkout: Updating d:/Temp/autocheckout

U d:/Temp/autocheckout/Blah.txt

Malformed line 9 in CVSROOT/shadow - Need Module Tag Directoryok
cvs [commit aborted]: received interrupt signal

As you can see I had to manually stop cvs as it was hanging after the
"Malformed..." line.

After that the file in d:\Temp\autocheckout was correctly updated to
the latest revision but the meta info for the file in the sandbox I was
committing from was not yet updated, i.e. the file was still displayed
in modified state at revision 1.3 . Running an update on the file
remedied that.

Tony?

Cheers,

--