[cvsnt] Re: Documentation for the CVSROOT/shadow script?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Jan 3 15:27:24 GMT 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

> Which plugin would that be? There is nothing there that remotely looks
> like "shadow"...
>
> But now I tried "Automatic checkout extension"

The note at the top of the shadow file could have served as a hint
there... ;)

> Malformed line 9 in CVSROOT/shadow - Need Module Tag Directoryok
>
> My line #9 is actually an empty line preceding the checkout spec line.
> By removing that line (forcefully directly in the CVSROOT dir) and
> repeating the procedure there were no longer any error messages.

Wowsa! That fixed it. I hadn't bothered to actually check the line
number of my entry. My line #9 actually was an empty line at the end of
the file. I had deliberately inserted it because at some point I made
the experience that some administrative files would sometimes not work
correctly when not closed with a trailing linefeed...

> I guess that completes the investigation.

Yep, the only interesting thing left to know would probably be whether
CVSNT always performs a full checkout/update of the whole specified
module or whether it selectively checks out/updates the committed files
only (could mean a rather bad performance hit if it doesn't methinks).
Don't have time to check that at the moment.
BTW: Have you already checked with virtual modules?

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org