[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT vs. Subversion Comparison

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Jan 3 21:09:47 GMT 2006

John,

Thanks for taking the time to submit some comments.

Here are some additional notes that I hope clarifies what I *meant* as
opposed to what I may have *said*  ;)

I've renamed the thread to a more appropriate subject.

> You'd have to be more specific about the features you object to before
> anyone is going to take your comments seriously.

It's not my intention for anyone who advocates SVN to "take my comments
seriously".  As product manager for CVSNT my job is to make CVSNT the
best SCM tool available for its market, not to assist other tools.  I
wouldn't even presume to describe what the SVN target market is.  My
original comments were in the context of advocating for CVSNT - not
advocating for anything else.

> details.  The website comparison is also not current with the current
> 1.3.0 release; among the features now available are locking, ACL's,

We intend to update that next quarter, when a more significant web site
upgrade is planned.

> But you have to be sure not to promote disinformation on your own behalf

I do not believe we are.

> "true rename" support is very fragile (it renames it only in the client

Not in my experience.  Many files in the CVSNT repository have already
been renamed using the CVSNT rename support.

I do admit to not using this feature often myself - our organisation has
strict naming conventions for the files I deal with, so the names never
need to change and never have.

> Let's not let this devolve into "my tool is better" when both tools have
> useful niches that they can serve.

Most certainly - and that was at least half of the point I was
attempting to make in my last post.  The purpose of our web site is to
promote CVSNT and our professional support, any "comparisons" developed
for that site are not intended to be objective.  The fact that we
"recommend" CVSNT is not meant to imply that all other SCM tools are
therefore without merit.  I also included our mission statement, we are
not interested in churn, ie: simply moving people from one tool to another.

The main thing I dislike about the CVSNT/SVN comparison page is that it
puts the evaluation focus on technical dot points, which in my opinion
have nothing to do with how SCM systems should be compared, they should
be compared on how accurately, comprehensively and easily the tool
tracks changes and the interrelationships between them.

Once again, thanks for your comments, and thanks for your support of
CVSNT!

Regards,

Arthur