[cvsnt] pserver authorization problems

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Jan 7 00:11:58 GMT 2006

David Jackman wrote:
> This didn't seem to make any difference.  When I added the user with the
> command
> 	cvs passwd -D domain -r djackman
>  the entry in passwd looked like  djackman:!domain:djackman  and the

Avoid doing this.  You just exposed your domain password in plaintext
across the network - unless you are on a very secure network then it's
just not worth the risk.

If you must use pserver try to mitigate its effects by using different
names and passwords to 'live' ones, and aliasing everything.

For larger networks (which if you're doing multi-domain I guess you're
on) I'd advise against the use of pserver at all for this reason.. it's
about the same security level as writing your passwords on post-it notes
and sticking them on the wall.