[cvsnt] Re: DHCP

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Fri Jan 13 08:02:33 GMT 2006

If you are having problems with the DNS on your network then the
IT department should look over that problem.

You can "solve" it on your client PC:s by editing the HOSTS file,
though. On windows the file is:
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add an entry with the actual current IP address and the name of
the CVSNT server PC. Then use the PC name in your connections to
CVSNT. (You can in fact enter a completely independent name if
you want, for example say that the PC name is PC123XXX, then you
can write  a hosts entry with the IP address followed by cvsserver
for example. Then this PC will be accessible to the CVS client using
cvsserver rather than PC123XXX.)

Since the CVSNT server is probably going to be on 24/7 it will never
change its IP address. All DHCP servers I know of will issue the
same IP address if a request is made from the same MAC address
within the lease time. Also if the lease has expired they will issue
the same IP unless someone else has received it in the meantime.

So the HOSTS "solution" is actually going to work quite well.
It also gives you the advantage that you can easily change the IP
of the server without affecting the checked out sandboxes.
This would not be the case if the users have checked out using:
   cvs -d :sspi:123.123.123.123:/repo checkout <module>

Best regards,

Bo Berglund