[cvsnt] Re: Problems with CVS History

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Jan 14 13:32:11 GMT 2006

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:44:17 +0400, "Tarek M. Nabil"
<tarek.nabil at isoft.ae> wrote:

>Could someone please point me to what I'm doing wrong. Every help is
>appreciated.

Well,
I never ever managed to get cvs history produce anything useful at all
so I stopped trying...
Instead I have enabled the auditing plugin for CVSNT and now I can
fish out everything I like using simple database queries into the
audit database. Of course similar to the history file auditing will
not contain anything from before it was enabled....

Please also note that in standard CVS and CVSNT alike the tag is
stored *without* a timestamp inside the RCS files so the only way to
get a handle on time of tagging is to record the actual operation
either in history (but as you have seen it is next to impossible to
dig anything useful out of that) or by programming the taginfo script
to log the tagging info yourself or by enabling the audit plugin in
recent CVSNT.
I prefer the audit anytime.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)