[cvsnt] Re: ACLs again...

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Sun Jan 15 21:24:03 GMT 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> ACLs at the current level will always take priority over ACLs higher up
> - the search basically stops there because you have set default none on
> the directory, and no other override.

That got me thinking... is there a difference in performance between using
the recursive nature of the ACLs and set them only in their respective top
level directories (faster at the one time of setting, but possibly slower
on every access) or use the -R option and explicitly set the ACLs in all
subdirectories (slower at the time of setting, but possibly faster on
normal accesses)?

In one case, cvsnt would always have to scan the permissions files up the
directory chain on every access, in the other case it always would find an
ACL that fits a user in every directory.

Gerhard