[cvsnt] Re: tagging a branch

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Jan 16 18:44:47 GMT 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:39:07 +0000 (GMT), Stephen Hartley
<stephenhartleyjunk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I'd be grateful if anyone can clarify my understanding
>of the following behaviour of CVSNT:
>
>My objective is to create a tag which marks the
>current end of a CVS branch.
>

>According to
>http://www.psc.edu/~semke/cvs_branches.html:
>
>"In order to name the current end of a branch of a
>module, use the command
>
>      cvs rtag -r Branchname Tagname my_module
>"
>
>which would seem to be exactly what I want - the
>branchname is dynamic in that it reflects any files
>added/modified on this branch when tagging.
>
>However, according to the description of rtag options
>from cvsnt–Concurrent Versions System 2.5.03.2151
>(source: http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/), and also
>Cederqvist,
>
>"-r tag Only tag those files that contain existing tag
>tag."
>
>Which makes me wonder, if I create a branch and then
>add a file on it, if I pass the branch name as the -r
>parameter, will the new file get included in the tag?
>(I want it to be included!)
>
>In other words, does rtag's -r option expect a tag
>name (Static) or a branch name (dynamic).

It would be so much simpler if you used cvs tag instead of cvs rtag...
tag works on a checked out fileset whereas rtag works on the module in
the server.

I would do it as follows:
1. Check out the module
2. Update to the branch in question
Now I have all of the files that are part of the module oin this
branch and I have the tip revision on the branch for all of them.

3. Issue cvs tag "MyReleaseTag_1234" inside the module sandbox top
folder.

Now you have tagged all of the files in the revisions they are right
now and you can move on to your next task.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)