[cvsnt] Re: RTAG command failure

Brian Post bpost at 80-20.com
Mon Jan 16 20:34:00 GMT 2006

If required I can give the file before & after it gets corrupted.

Ok I stopped it corrupting the file
C:/DME_CVS-NT/DmeDoc/Config2/Test/10_Reps.config,v when I initally used the
following connand. I wouldn't expect an invalid or partial command to
corrupt an RCS file.
    cvs rtag -R Build-5003 DmeDoc

I was successfully able to tag with
    cvs rtag -R -f -D 1/17/2006 Build-5004 DmeDoc

To recursivly tag a module using the current date & time (i.e used to tag
automated builds), Is the following the minmum required?
cvs rtag -R -f  TAG DmeDoc

The reason I ask, the help for rtag's options -r & -D both confusingly
mention existing tag or date & Oliver Green wrote

> You should always use RTag with either the -r or -D options (and if you
> use -r the argument shouldn't be a branch). This is because otherwise
> CVS would simply put the new tag on the current HEAD revisions of the
> specified set of files. The problem there might not be immediately
> obvious but you have to realize that in a multi-developer environment
> HEAD is pretty much a moving target and you never really know which
> revision it will be.

FYI, we haven't used any branches in our CVS project.

news:dqehv0$fi1$1 at paris.nodomain.org...