[cvsnt] Re: Backup a live repository

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Jan 18 12:14:03 GMT 2006

Glen Starrett wrote:

>> I just got wondering -- do you guys have experiences with or thoughts
>> about backing up a repository without shutting down the service?
>>
>> For example, there is the shadow copy service of WinXP/2003, and there
>> are imaging applications like Ghost and TrueImage that can image live
>> file systems. Does this work?
>
> AFAIK the only risk to backing up a live repository is that you might
> happen to catch it in the middle of an update, in which case you'd have
> half the files in one state and the other half in the previous state.

I am willing to accept this and consider such a state a "consistent" state
in the sense that the repository would work and no data would be lost.

Sometimes a (logical) change set doesn't get committed in one commit
command anyway, and therefore even shutting down the server wouldn't
guarantee the (logical) change set to be complete.

Thanks,
Gerhard