[cvsnt] How to get the new admin files in build 2214 into existing CVSROOT?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jan 18 21:42:46 GMT 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:56:04 -0600, Glen Starrett
<glen at starretthome.net> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> How did you do that?
>> I tried to do this on an existing repo but got this message back:
>>
>> cvs [init aborted]: Repository at c:/data/cvsrepo/cmp already exists.
>
>Rather than messing with your real repository, why not create a dummy
>one then copy over the missing RCS files?  It should have the net effect
>you're looking for.

Yes, as long as I don't have to also get them into the checkoutlist.
But I wanted a command somewhere that would just look in the CVSROOT
folder and put the missing files there. It's like treating CVSROOT as
a sandbox (which it is in some way already) and do an update on it.
But of course the RCS files must also be created then...

And I must make sure to *not* overwrite a file that was there already
but I did not recognize lest I lose the edits thta might already have
gone into it...

Of course I am creating new repositories all the time when there are
new builds, but they are rather numerous now. So it might be good to
at least have an inkling when this happens so it's needed.

Case in point:
This time (build 2214) I noted in CVS that Tony had modified the
source changes I had checked in for doc/cvs.dbk concerning the shadow
file operations. I had emphasized that people should enter it into the
checkoutlist. When I updated the cvsnt sources I noted an update to
doc/cvs.dbk so I diffed it against the previous revision (mine) and
found that the checkoutlist stuff was gone.
So I decided to see what would happen in a new repo with build 2214.
Sure enough the shadow file was now part of the admin files from the
start!
But it is kind of a strange way to find this out. Much better to have
a command to update the CVSROOT folder (it need not be a cvs command,
could well be a function in the CVSNT Control Panel applet).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)