[cvsnt] Dead cvs.exe processes

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Jan 23 21:00:11 GMT 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:02:42 -0700, "David Jackman"
<David.Jackman at fastsearch.com> wrote:

>I made the changes on Saturday.  Now that people are using the system, I'm already noticing lots of cvs.exe processes, and I again got a cvs server hang (which happens about once a day).  (I consider a cvs server hang when it takes more than a minute to service an ls -l cvs command on a small directory.)  When I stopped the cvs server, there were 391 cvs.exe processes, and after waiting 4 minutes, 11 were still alive.
>
>Apparently, starting with fresh CVSROOT files doesn't fix the problem.  Any other ideas?

OK, if it's not the scripts (I assume you tested without entering
anything into them), then I am out of wits here. THe only times I saw
hung cvs exe processes was in older servers and when the client had
done something strange. So I kill them regularly each night.

Possibly AntiVirus software? I don't have any AV on my CVS servers
because they are not used on the console and the absence of AV lessens
the chance of file system interference with CVSNT.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)