[cvsnt] KeywordExpand feature like CVS 1.12.x

Rahul Bhargava coderobo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 01:02:56 GMT 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Rahul Bhargava wrote:
>> Hello Arthur -
>>
>> Thank you for the help.
>>
>> The keywords control file mechansim is definitely more
>> sophisticated than cvs 1.12.x scheme.
>>
>> However it doesn't seem to work for $Log$ RCS keywords.
>> I tried to disable "$Log$" by modifying the keywords file
>> (btw to disable you have to list the keyword with no definition. The
>> # commenting out doesn't work). However $log always gets expanded :-(
>>
>> Other keywords I could disable by removing their definitions.
>>
>> is this a bug ?
>
> Define 'always gets expanded'
>
> $log is special - it (like all other keywords) is written into the RCS
> file *but* it makes modifications to multiple lines - you can't remove
> them once the file is committed as they are part of the file, not part
> of the $Log keyword any more.  You can stop any more comments
> appearing, but you can't do anything about the ones that are already
> there.

Actually, it does work as expected. I had failed to re-start the CVSNT
service on Windows.
Somehow I expected UNIX like behavior:  If an administrative file is
checked-in, the administrative
database gets rebuilt and changes take effect immediately. With CVSNT
win service, you have to
re-start the service to get the changes in CVSROOT/ admin file accepted.
That is why the Log disablement changes weren't taking effect.