[cvsnt] Re: Creating a tag on a checked out branch?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Jan 31 11:31:37 GMT 2006

Jonathan Belson wrote:

> I have a checked out branch in my working directory and I want to create
> a new tag on it.  Is cvs smart enough to only create the tag on the
> branch, or do I have to manually specify the branch name?
>
> E.g. can I use
>
> 'cvs tag NEW_TAG_ON_BRANCH'

Yes. 'cvs tag' tags whatever you have in your sandbox. If the files in your
sandbox are on a branch, that's what gets tagged.

> I tried using the former method, but when I checked a ',v' file in the
> repository I couldn't see anything that related the branch tag to the
> branch.

I don't know what the ,v files are supposed to contain, but I've tagged
files on branches successfully.

> The new tag's ID was 1.13, but the branch was 1.13.0.2; I somehow
> expected the new tag to have an ID related to the branch number
> (1.13.0.2.1 or something).

Note that when you check out the tag that you created this way, your files
will /not/ be on a branch; they will be on a tag. But they will contain the
contents the files had that were on the branch when you tagged them.

Gerhard