[cvsnt] 20 years of CVS

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Wed Jul 5 21:02:47 BST 2006

When I started using RCS for change control at IBM in 1989, three years
after CVS first appeared, the people I worked with were just starting to
make the transition from SCCS.  RCS was still the Next Big Thing at a
lot of organizations.

Polytron's PVCS, essentially an RCS clone with some GUI front-end
tooling (which may not have been in the first version; I didn't start
using it until several years later), also came out in the late 1980s,
but it ignored the CVS concurrent-change model in favor of the RCS
lock-edit-commit one.

I don't think I even heard of CVS until sometime in the mid 1990s.

My point?  SCM systems are relatively long-lived applications.
Subversion certain has its fans, but I expect CVS has a long life ahead
of it yet; and I, for one, haven't seen any compelling reason to switch.

> For anyone interested - the original posting by Dick is
> available in the Google Groups archive here:

I love that CVS (though not the RCS engine) is actually included in the
announcement itself, as a shar archive.  Now there's an installer
technology: no black boxes, trivial to inspect and fix if something goes
wrong, and compact enough to send over a slow dial-up link.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus