[cvsnt] $Date$ format in cvsnt?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Jul 6 14:00:08 BST 2006

David Somers wrote:

> I always wondered why CVS[NT] never used the ISO8601 format... seems
> crazy not to use a standard. Tony, how about having an option to
> return dates in this format?

It's ctime format... it's a fixed format because it's only ever
transmitted as text and compared in the entries files etc.  If it was
changed it would break existing sandboxes (in fact the windows ctime is
slightly incompatible so we have to modify it on Win32 to be the same as
the unix one).

The triggers are already passed the preformatted string since the
original isn't available, so it'd be a fairly big change to try to
modify that for them.  OTOH you can run it through Date::Parse in a perl
script and convert it to anything you like.