[cvsnt] Can't import binary files with std cvs backend

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Jul 10 00:01:25 BST 2006

Bo,

>>> Same server version as before (1.12.9-13).
>>
>>Try upgrading the server to 2.5.03.2282
>>

> But the OP is discussing how to use cvsnt
> cvs.exe as a *client* against a GNU CVS server.
> The idea was, I believe, that CVSNT should stay
> compatible to GNU CVS so that it can always be
> used as a *client*.... Otherwise we get into
> trouble if we need to both use CVSNT and GNU
> servers. Sometimes we cannot control the
> server side (for example at SourceForge).

It is always best to run CVSNT against a recent CVSNT server where this
is in any way remotely under the users "control".

Yes CVSNT client DOES work with CVS (cvshome) servers, and that is a
design goal that has not changed.  However CVSNT client with a CVS
server is limited  by the features/bugs of the CVS (cvshome) server.
And in this particular case Tony has already pointed out that the
message is generated at the server and the problem exists there.  The
users options are to fix the server and/or upgrade to CVSNT 2.5.03.

This person in particular has indicated they are running an *UNSTABLE*
build of CVS (all 1.12 releases are unstable) and so are a prime
candidate for upgrading to a more recent stable version.

None of this applies to sourceforge who run a stable CVS version
(1.11.20) and who also have it configured correctly.

IMO - with the number of complaints about CVS faults (lock files,
publishing of physcial repo locations), CVS missing functionality (acls,
mergepoints, email notification, shadow, magic branches) and CVS's
inability to support modern software development practices and audit
requirements (change sets, audit, centrally defined rules), and the
number of solutions in CVSNT there is no excuse for not recommending
CVSNT 2.5.03 as the only appropriate server to be running.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett