[cvsnt] Setting up cvsnt server on Windows XP

Nicholas Duane nickdu at msn.com
Fri Jul 14 19:37:57 BST 2006

If/when I get past my problem with connecting to the server (a different
post) I have questions regarding setting up users.  My initial thinking is
that I would like to authenticate via keys or certificates (not an expert on
authentication).  From the reading that I've done it sounds like there is
some sort of authentication using keys.  It was unclear to me how to set
this up.  Maybe because I'm not that familiar with unix and its utilities
(like ssh, putty, etc.).  Also, it sounded like I would have to add the
users to a passwd file and include their host names.  I'm hoping this is not
the case as I don't want to have to add their host name.  I'm hoping they
should be able to connect from any machine as long as they have their
key/certificate installed on that machine.

Can I have authentication working something like this?

I don't know much, really nothing, about ssh.  But it would be nice to be
able to encrypt the data so that in the case where the data is traveling
over the internet we're somewhat secure.  What do I need to enable this?  I
read somewhere that :ssh: is a protocol that's include with the cvsnt client
which is provided by a built-in putty client (or something like that).  If
so, do I need anything else on the client?  What do I need on the server?
OpenSsh?

Thanks,
Nick