[cvsnt] cvs [2.5.03.2382] admin -s fails

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Thu Jul 20 15:04:41 BST 2006

This was discussed on the list in February of this year; see the thread
titled "Problem wit binary files after upgrading server from 2.5.01.1976
to 2.5.03.2151".

glibc is reporting an invalid free() call in the CVSNT server process.
This is a bug in the caller, which might be the CVSNT source itself or
some other library that it calls.

The pointer value glibc is displaying is misaligned, so it looks like a
bogus value being passed to free, and not a duplicate free of an
originally-valid (ie returned by malloc/calloc/realloc) pointer.

You can "work around" this problem by using an older version of glibc on
the server, or by setting MALLOC_CHECK_=0 in the server's environment to
tell glibc to silently ignore invalid free operations.  (More details
are available from all the usual suspects.)  This is a bad idea, in
general, as it merely disguises a problem that leads to undefined
behavior; but unless you can find and fix the problem  in the source you
may not have any other option.

(If I had time and a reproducible testcase, I'd track this down myself;
it'd be trivial to set MALLOC_CHECK_ to raise a signal when the invalid
free happened and then locate the offending call, and it's probably an
easy fix.  But that'd require a debug build of the current CVSNT
release, and a sufficiently new glibc, and a reliable testcase.  One of
these days I hope to have current CVSNT sources sitting around for this
sort of thing, but I don't have the time right now to set that up.)

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer

michael.wojcik at microfocus.com
9420 Key West Avenue
Rockville, MD 20850
Direct: 517 676 0892
What would you like Micro Focus to do for you? Contribute your view by
visiting
http://www.microfocus.com/CustomerInsight.asp