[cvsnt] Re: cvs [2.5.03.2382] admin -s fails

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Thu Jul 20 15:22:11 BST 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> David Somers wrote:
>> Tony and others,
>>
>> I've been trying to use cvs admin to change the state on some files.
>> 2.5.03.2382 (linux) as both client and server.
>>
> That option really doesn't do anything any more.. doesn't surprise me if
> it
> has issues.  It's an old RCS compatibility thing.

Yeah, I know... I was actually trying to use State for its original intended
purpose. (Yeah, the heat over here is obviously affecting me!)

> Since that code hasn't changed since the 1.10.8 days I suspect it's always
> been broken..

I thought it did work... or maybe my memory is overheating.

Anyhuw, I guess the more cvsnt-way of doing things would be for me to use
user-variables. But:
- would it be possible for user-variables to propgate from one revision to
the next (until they are explicitly set to nowt), i.e. make them 'sticky'.
- can they be expanded into a file in the similar manner to the system
variables? I had a quick look at the rcs code (yuk!) and I don't think this
is done, but perhaps it could be tweaked (or would that cause problems with
the info trigger?)

---
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever