[cvsnt] cvs security

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Thu Jul 27 18:49:21 BST 2006

Mik wrote:

> Here is not clear how to use rchacl permissions group and if or how
> these interact with system permission.

Basically, you want to have everybody read/write/create access to the
repository.

> I'd like that moduleX/projectX be all accessible from all users in
> cvsgroupX but no others.

  cvs rchacl -a read,write,create,tag  -u cvsgroupX  moduleX/projectX

> The $CVSROOT/readers & writers files work for module/directory or for all
> repository?

The readers and writers files are obsolete, with the ACL mechanism.

>> ???  creating a module is one command, and the platform is irrelevant to
>> the operation.
>
> Sorry but I am not a developer, I don't use WinCVS but only Telnet to access
> cvsnt server so I don't know if am in wrong way or not.

You don't have to use WinCvs, but as admin you should in general have at
least a local sandbox where you have the CVSROOT folder checked out. Even
as admin it is quite rare that you have to access the server directly, once
the initial setup is done. Pretty much everything can be done with the
cvsnt client.

> It is not clear if I can create a new project/module on server without
> source code and then populate it with 'checkout' by user, with right
> permissions of course.

If you really want to work on the server only, you need a sandbox on the
server. To create a module, you just create a directory and "cvs add" it to
the repository. Then you can use chacl or rchacl commands on that module.

Gerhard