[cvsnt] CVSNT performance question

teknokrat teknokrat at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 17:55:59 BST 2006

Arthur Barrett wrote:
>> We are using the latest version
>
> Which latest version would that be?  Including build number.

Thanks for replying though I think the question has been answered by
another poster. The version I am using is 2.5.03.2382

>> Our CVS repository has about 120
>> projects using collectively
>> about 0.5Gb.
>
> That is not large.
>
>> We use the pserver protocol to connect.
>
> Not recommended, use sspi or ssh (or sserver).

Apart from security is there any other reason. Is performance
significantly different between he protocols?

>> Browsing the repository ( in eclipse ) takes
>> several minutes.
>
> Probably an eclipse problem.  Browse with the command line or WorkspaceViewer (included in CVSNT) and find out if there is a performance problem there first.  If the command line is slow (eg: "cvs ls") then do a trace "cvs -ttt ls" and each step is timestamped - look for which steps are slow and e-mail the info through.

yes, it looks that way. Its hard to say from the command line since i
can't get the same output as eclipse but I think its noticeably faster.