[cvsnt] Unable to resolve merge conflicts

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Jul 31 19:44:54 BST 2006

Tony Eva wrote:

> and the file was reported to have conflicts:
>
> C <file.c>
>
> 'cvs status <file.c>' gave the status as 'Status: File had
> conflicts on merge'.
>
> So I edited the file, resolved the conflicts and removed the conflict
> markers, and saved the file again.  However 'cvs status <file.c>'
> *still* said the file had conflicts.  I am absolutely sure there
> were no conflict markers left in the file.

That's correct. The file is reported as having a conflict until you commit.
The conflict status is not indicating actual conflict markers in the file,
it is indicating that on the last merge there was an update and the file
hasn't yet been committed (supposedly with resolved conflicts).

FWIW, you can commit a file with cvs conflict markers if you want. There's
nothing magic about them. (It's not recommended, though... :)

> However CVS did allow me to commit the merged file even though it alleged
> there were still conflicts.

This is also correct. Committing is the recommended way to clear the
"conflict" status.

The "conflict" status should now be gone.

Gerhard