[cvsnt] Re: CVSROOT/module2: how to merge multiple dirs into a common virtual root

Alexander Kriegisch Alexander.Kriegisch at web.de
Thu Jun 1 12:03:59 BST 2006

Hello Bo!
Hi others!

> 1. Development of the CVSROOT/modules2 file functionality is not
> finished. There are still bugs there. AFAIK Tony has postponed working
> on this until version 2.6 is done.

Very well, I just gave it a try.

> 2. CVS does not allow files from two or more folders on the server to
> reside in the same sandbox folder. So if this is what you are trying
> to do then you are out of luck no matter which flavour of modules you
> use.

> The source of a file is written into the CVS/Repository file and it
> holds only one value that has to be valid for the whole directory
> above. I.e. all files must come from this repository folder.

I understand, but in this case there are no ambiguities, because my src/conf/eclipse_projects/project1 package does not contain a src directory of its own. Instead I am trying to "mount" my src directory rooted somewhere else into that location. Would it help to somehow explicitly disallow any possible src subdirectory of src/conf/eclipse_projects/project1 to be checked out as part of my virtual module? Could I "mount" my other src directory into the virtual module's root? Unique CVS/Repository entries could then be structurally guaranteed. (Just speculating and hoping, sorry.)

Regards
Alexander Kriegisch