[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt Digest, Vol 42, Issue 13

Zlatko Arifhodzic zlatko at free.fr
Tue Jun 6 18:22:11 BST 2006

>Hi all,
>
>I'm currently in the process of investigating how we might migrate our
>CVSNT repository (currently on an Windows Server machine) to Subversion
>or some other RCS. So far I've not had any luck at all running the usual
>Subversion conversion scripts, such as cvs2svn and refinecvs, both of
>which fail in their unique and individual ways. One of the main issues
>I've hit is that the actual RCS files (,v) in many cases just don't seem
>valid to the various scripts, so the conversion aborts or lots of files
>simply don't get migrated.
>
>Has anyone successfully migrated from CVSNT? What other revision control
>systems can import repositories from CVSNT?

Hello,

I've sucessfuly imported a CVSNT repository to subversion for
benchmarking purposes ( I'm not very happy with cvsnt :) ).

I used the cvs2svn script, all took place on a Linux server. The import
process was quite long to set up ( 1 week of troubleshootong and fine
tuning, and finaly 1 weekend of processing ) but it did work.

I had no critical problems with cvs2svn, other that my misuderstanding
of all possible options. For instance, you realy need to correctly
specify the locale your cvsnt is set to, and to pass the cvs parsing
option --use-cvs as the script uses rcs parsing per default !

All of this makes the processing much longer, but it finally ended with
success. I'd like to ask you about the the problems you encounterd
however it seems to me that this is a little bit off topic for this
maling list.

For other scm tools, I know about Perforce, wich is a fine piece of
software providing importation scripts from cvs, however perforce is not
free like svn.

-Z-