[cvsnt] Re: Branch merging - this seems wrong...

Oliver Koltermann okoltermann_deletethis_ at gmx.de
Thu Jun 8 08:32:14 BST 2006

Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> writes:
> Merging works by taking the difference between the common revision
> (branchpoint or mergepoint) and the latest revision on the branch.
>
> That diff is then applied to the target branch.  Only 1 diff and 1
> revision are used in that process.

This was the comment which helped me to understand the problem. The
revisions on the branch are of two types: plain branch changes and
results of merges. For a short moment I thought that the collection of
branch differences should leave out merge-results of merges from the
current target branch. But then I realized, that the merge results
also contain the necessary changes for conflict resolution etc. These
are also needed in the final result - and the mergepoint does not help
in seperating these out from the diff on the branch.

We also work with the branching scheme mentioned in this discussion
and I am now convinced that Gerhard Fiedlers way of looking at the
final close of the branch is right. I will keep this in mind for
my future work.

Thank you all for the good discussion. I learned a lot!

Best regards,
O. Koltermann