[cvsnt] Re: Migrating from (SCCS to) RCS to CVSNT?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jun 16 16:28:56 BST 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:00:29 +0300, "El Gringo Blanco"
<reverenced at gmail.com> wrote:

>I have an RCS repository, that I would like to use under CVSNT. It was
>actually created from an
>SCCS repository counterpart, which was being commited to via a specially
>written tool over the
>network.
>
>So far in testing of the new CVSNT based system I have just copied the RCS
>repository under
>CVSNT and it has worked flawlessly. Is this safe however? Could this "plain
>copy" later result
>in the whole repository being corrupted?

Could you describe the structure of the "RCS repository" that you
copied to CVSNT? What did you copy and where? And what was the final
structure of the repository in CVS?

If I remember correctly RCS was a single-user system that mixed
together the active source files and the repository RCS files in a
rather complex local directory structure and this is NOT compatible
with CVS or CVSNT. But the individual RCS files are probably OK if you
just collect them into the proper server structure.

Remember that NOONE, not even you, shall ever work on the project
inside the repository folder structure!!! If you do tyhenm you have
not properly moved from RCS to CVS.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)