[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT does not support *large* binary files (crashes on them)

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Mon Jun 19 00:45:29 BST 2006

Serge Nikulin wrote:
> The reason is simple: I want to keep revision builds in version control.
> Each revision build is a file ~30 MB.
> Recently (as *,v file has grown in size) we found that CVSNT server
> crashes.

I'd reiterate that you'd probably be better off storing that file into an
archive management system rather than cvs... is there any practical benefit
in having it in cvs that couldn't be achieved by having it stored/archived
elsewhere?

Binaries of a few K in size are OK... but MBs in size and you are soon
hitting some limits... but as Arthur said in another message, cvsnt does
have "freedom to contribute", so perhaps you/somebody would like to
refactor the code so it uses less memory, etc. when handling such large
binaries?

> Again, what's the difference between large binary file and small text file
> with *large* history?

Not a lot, but I was referring to unrealistic as in committing millions
times.

> Large, grown-up projects take many of years of development and generate
> very large ,v files.
> I know one which was started in 1984 and is still in development. It was
> moved from RCS to ClearCase in 2001 because history processing took too
> much time.
> (BTW, CVSNT has the same/bad time processing dependency from length of the
> history).

Methinks another candidate for some refactoring.

--
David Somers
PGP Key = 7E613D4E