[cvsnt] RE: information currency economic proposal - ic-cvs functionality in cvsnt for $9500?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Jun 20 08:15:39 BST 2006

Patrick,

>   Would you be willing to pay $9500

No.

March Hare Software are the "vendor" of CVSNT, and if we saw this
feature as a commercial imperative then we are quite capable of coding
it.

As I mentioned in the TortoiseCVS forum:

CVS, CVSNT and TortoiseCVS are all licensed under the GNU GPL which
gives you the freedom to make these changes.  Remember GPL licensed
software is "free as in freedom" not "free as in beer".  You can make
any change you like and submit it back to the appropriate project for
inclusion in the "canonical" code.

> My personal estimate of $9500 is based on my
> demonstrated experience writing the modifications
> to cvs-1.12.12 to release, as well as the original
> code in the several icws and icsvn releases

As I already pointed out in the TortoiseCVS forum - that code has some
serious design flaws, most importantly (again a quote):

* if the goal of "information currency" is to pay a programmer based on
what code/work they complete - then doing it "on commit" is probably
incorrect - otherwise I'll just add hundreds of lines of comments and
commit one line at a time to get my pay rise.  The currency needs to be
issued on acceptance of those changes - so my proposal (should anyone be
interested in reading this far) is to link this in with change sets (cvs
commit -b).  When the change set get's "promoted" (read: merged) onto a
certain branch (eg: "accepted") then the information currency can be
issued.  Presumably the "user id" would be linked into an RSA key (maybe
via an extension to the CVSROOT/users file already used by viewcvs,
e-mail plugin and bugzilla plugin).

To reiterate you are welcome to write mods and submit them to the
project, however if you do I strongly suggest taking a consultative
approach on the design and implementation.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett