[cvsnt] Strange CVS performance fluctuation

Trevor Leybourne trevor.leybourne at aderant.com
Tue Jun 20 21:58:57 BST 2006

Just some ideas and feedback if it will help,

We've been having similar and significant problems here as well. Our CPU
rarely goes above about 5-10% usage (even with 10-20 cvs.exe processes
---- it's a fairly grunty Windows 2003 Server) and yet a checkout that
would normally take less than 15 minutes will take more than a hour when
multiple people are accessing it.

Our IT guys have spent a lot of time evaluating the issue and the issues
has been resolved as being disk contention (see timer results below).

We found that running on a server with Raid 1 was costly and have moved
the disk array to Raid 5 instead (no significant difference between SAN
and LOCAL disk).

Also, if you are using something like CruiseControl for your build
process, look at the URL Build Trigger rather than the standared build
trigger. The standard build trigger uses a CVS LOG command to look for
changes and this is a significant process to run against a large
repository.

We ran a test of having 3 PCs each running 3 concurrent checkouts
against CVS. Here are the results against different disk configurations
and are in Minutes. The repository size is around 850Mb and a checked
out Sandbox is 540Mb (6,000 files in 250 folders)

	(RAID5 Local) (RAID1 Local) (RAID5 SAN)
Test1	14	77	15
Test2	15	77	15
Test3	14	76	15
Test4	16	78	16
Test5	16	77	16
Test6	16	77	16
Test7	16	72	17
Test8	16	78	17
Test9	16	79	16

The CVS Server is 2.5.02.2115 and the client was 2.5.03.22650

Cheers
Trevor