[cvsnt] Re: information currency economic proposal - ic-cvs f unctionality in cvsnt for $9500?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Jun 21 15:32:29 BST 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> Now, come on... there are a number of companies that hire programmers for
> work on open-source projects, aren't there? There are also any number of
> university employees who open-source their work. All these get paid up
> front. That's not a strange or rare concept.

When you hire someone you don't normally pay them up front.. you pay
them a salary or by the hour.  In fact contractors don't usually see any
money for at least 2 months (invoice at end of first month, 28 days for
company to pay invoice).  Maybe it's different in the US but I'd be
surprised if it was that different.

The point is the relationship is exactly backwards to the original post
- a company wants to hire someone they make the offer to the programmer
- not the other way around.

The perhaps sad fact is code by itself has no value - it's the business
requirement that gives it value.  No demand for a feature -> no business
case -> no money.  'information currency' currently falls squarely in
this category.