[cvsnt] Re: Mergepoints

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Thu Jun 22 16:05:22 BST 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:52:26 +0000, Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> It looks scarier than it is. It requires care and diligence, though --
> especially in the beginning.

Wish: Allow something like -r branchtagname:BASE
      to refer to the branch root.

> Mergepoints are not an essentially new functionality, they are a
> convenience.

...but a very big one. With mergepoints you can repeatedly
merge from one branch to another very easily; otherwise the
tagging really requires care & planning.

> > [...] is usage of non CVSNT clients possible for users who will not
> > perform merges (they will only implement changes and commit them)
> > without any damage/loss of functionality of mergepoints and whole
> > repository?
>
> I think that works, as long as they don't do any merges.

I work all the time with cvs clients on the cvsnt servers (plain
cvs is available about everywhere). Just for merges you need a
cvsnt client since it needs to memorize the mergepoint from
merge-into-sandbox until the commit.

Andreas

--
np: 4'33